Thursday, January 21, 2021

Thoughts (On Creating a 600k Route) That I Felt To "Keep Handy"

On Wednesday, January 20, 2021, 11:09:40 PM EST, MartinS_ <skiffrun> wrote:


Typing the following while watching the Wednesday evening / night TCM presentation of mysteries -- tonight, showing Miss Marple -- currently "Murder at the Gallop."  
 
Sometime in 2019, I started thinking about a 600k based on the Badgett Sisters 200, the companion 300k, and also the companion 400.  The 400 was Dayton's idea -- stitch his Clarksville populaire onto the 300. 

The Badgett Sisters "200" -- which was a Perm and also approved as a Brevet (during the first Perms suspension). 

The companion 300, "3-Lake-300" was officially ridden only once.  I intended to get around to riding it.  And now, assuming all is well in my life come mid-to-late Spring, when it might be warm enough and certainly there are long days, I might definitely set out to ride it.  
- ( "3-Lake-300" ) 

The companion 400, "4-Lake-400" was never ridden.  
- ( "4-Lake-400" ) 

And now to the point of this email.  I started fiddling around in 2019 with making a 600 to go with the 2, 3, and 4.  As Tony once mentioned regarding 1200's, or was regarding 600's, or both -- figure out the overnight motel stops, and then make a route to connect them.  Figuring an overnight for the potential 600 proved a bit problematic, but I was convinced that South Hill would be a place with options for overnight accommodations.  Several options -- all rather expensive (to my mind, anyway).  I forget how much Alan pays for the White Lake control, but it isn't exactly cheap given the accommodations.   

I tried looking at quite a few alternatives to South Hill -- Clarksville, Roanoke Rapids come to mind -- I didn't check Warrenton, but maybe I should have.  But South Hill may be the best option for such a 600 as I describe. 

The other day, I decided to trace out a possible bicycle ride to check out that "hook" one can see on that potential 600.  And as I tried to figure out a possible check-it-out ride, I realized that the entire potential 600 is either part of a Perm or been used by Tony as part of a 1200 -- except for the roughly 25 miles from Gasburg to South Hill. 
- - Long ride just to check out 25-miles, but cycling a road often informs one of so much more than simply driving it. 


Miss Marple has moved along pretty well, but the main thing that has happened so far is that the list of suspects keeps being cut down because they are being killed off.  Only 2 or 3 suspects left -- the movie has fewer than 15-minutes to run, so I reckon it will all be resolved quite soon. 

Enjoy the ride, 
...Martin 


p.s.  It wasn't any of those on the suspects list.  It was the maid.  Haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment