Saturday, March 27, 2021

Mar-13: TLC Baptist Marina plus Some Possum Tracking

So that I wouldn't wimp out on riding, I arranged to ride with the TLC group, 
Which supposedly would start their ride at 9 am. 
But I knew they would start late, so I arranged to arrive right at 9. 
No one was ready, so I rode another 2 1/4 miles or so on neighboring streets and 
Also made at least three loops around the Layfayette Square shopping center.
The ride started about 0915. 
 
I mostly rode with Gary + Wendy, the latter I hadn't seen since before the pandemic. 
In a reasonably safe side-by-side manner, we chatted about subjects of interest to each of us. 
 
The TLC Saturday morning ride usually goes through the "Coachman's" neighborhood, 
Then crosses Six Forks Rd onto Norwood Rd, 
Then turning onto Mt. Vernon Ch Rd to Old Creedmoor / Carpenter Pond Rd. 
They then turn onto Kemp Rd to Southview Rd to Baptist Rd. 
They ride Baptist down to the boat ramps (marina) at Falls Lake, 
Where they take a break, and then reverse their route back to the store. 
[While taking the break, riders from three or so other small groups also congregated near the rest rooms. 
I decided to keep well away from that mingling crowd (for pandemic reasons).] 
 
TLC group riders other than G+W zoomed ahead, but I stayed with G+W for some more chatting. 
However, as I told G+W, when we got back to Carpenter Rd, I "zoomed" off to get in some extra miles. 
And climbing. 
 
Apparently, some of the TLC riders were new and missed the turn onto MVC Rd. 
I found a frequent TLC rider waiting at the intersection where MVC crosses NC-50. 
Rather busy at that intersection -- I think she would have been better served to ride 50 yards and 
Wait at the Peed Rd / MVC Rd corner. 
 
Anyway, I continued on MVC to Norwood to Six Forks Rd. 
I turned left on Six Forks and continued straight onto Possum Track, and 
Then rode Bay Leaf Ch Rd down to the dead-end next to the lake. 
There, I reversed to climb back up to Possum Track, but 
I did detour through the Falls Bridge neighborhood alongside Bay Leaf Ch Rd, 
Thus adding a little distance and some additional climbing. 
[Because point be told, the exercise of extra miles was more about the climbing than the miles.] 
 
Down Possum Track to its dead-end, then 
Reverse to Lindley Rd to Shallowford Rd, etc., 
Finally popping out on Hardee Rd to Raven Ridge Rd. 
[As I type this on March 27th, I'm not sure if I turned onto Brassfield Rd, or 
If I stayed on Raven Ridge to Koupela -- the latter would have meant more climbing.] 
 
  • 51.1 total miles.    ~ 4:01 in-motion.    12.7-mph avg in-motion. 
  • Btw, I guestimate that I was avg'ing 11-mph (or about that) when I broke off from riding with G+W.  Since slightly more than half the total distance was with G+W, one can imagine that I maintained a pretty good (for me) avg pace in-motion during the later half of my ride -- where more than half the climbing was encountered. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment