Thursday, June 24, 2010

Jun-24: To Beat the Heat

I should have ridden at 0600. 
But didn't get away until 1000.
At ~17.5 miles into the ride, after little more than an hour, I stopped at the top of Coley, and took a long drink of "sports drink".  It was a pretty warm fluid; so I drank the rest of it before it became HOT.  Then I "washed it down" with a gulp from the water bottle; the water was pretty warm.  

I looked at the bottle, contemplating another 20 miles before completion of the ride, and ... decided to skip the planned 10 to 15 mile loop.  I headed straight back to BJP and called it a ride after 27.3 miles.  Then I phoned a contact and arranged the immediate puchase of two insulated water bottles.  I have made it through the previous hot summers without insulated bottles, but this year just seems so much hotter so much sooner, and with no breaks bringing in an occasional cool day.  I hope the insulated bottles work and help.  If they don't ... I know where the contact from whom I purchased the bottles lives.  That's all I'm saying.

To keep from thinking about the heat and to avoid thinking about speed, I had planned to ride a few bits that I seldom ride.  That helped the first half-hour.  During that half-hour, I rode to the Norwood / Old Creedmoor intersection, and then zoomed down the fresh pavement on Old Creedmoor, heading toward Carpenter Pond Rd.  The white fog lines are not painted yet, but at least the side of the road is no longer crumbling -- before repaving, the fog lines on Old Creedmoor would disappear into potholes; I had not ridden Old Creedmoor between Norwood and Shooting Club Rd for several years.  I am thinking the road can now be added back on to the list of roads to ride when "hill hunting".

Oh, I never got into the drops, and did not get into the best aero position even for being only on the hoods, but I hit 41 mph downslope on the steep part.  Irregulars beware.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jun-24: 

BJP: Norwood-OldCreedmoor-CarpenterPond-Coley-MVC; 27.3 m.; 1hrs, 37min; 16.8 mph. 

Q-1 tot: 16 rides; __938.2 m.; _60 hrs, 39 min; 15.5 mph.
Apr tot: 10 rides; __717.9 m.; _45 hrs, 27 min; 15.1 mph.
May tot: 10 rides; __837.2 m.: _58 hrs, 42 min; 14.3 mph.
Jun tot: _9 rides; __545.1 m.; _34 hrs, 55 min; 15.6 mph.
YTD tot: 45 rides; 3,038.4 m.; 201 hrs, 44 min; 15.1 mph. 
 
Woohoo!  The year-to-date avg pace increased by one tick.  The Full Moon Kerr Lake Loop this weekend will likely "correct" that.

No comments:

Post a Comment