Monday, December 7, 2020

Aug-08: Dragon Head with Horn -- NOT

[post publication edit:  The above should be an embed of the RWGPS map of the intended route. 
I.e., I did some additional experimentation and discovered that the embed process has not changed. 
It just appears that things are screwed up during the drafting/writing/typing/editing stage(s), but are as desired once the post is published.  WHY do tech types change things to make them unnecessarily confusing or hard??]  
 
Either RWGPS or Google-Blogger, or both, have changed their HTML code to embed a RWGPS map or to interpret said code.  Frickin' annoying.  
 
Attempts to embed the map(s) appears to result in a "video" as the visual that ought to be the RWGPS shows a dark-gray background with a "click-here-to-play" button.  What the heck! 
 
I used to be able to easily "get" images of the route and elevation profile in acceptable photo formats. 
I can't figure out how to do that, now.  More annoyance. 
 
So, here is a link to the route intended for my August 8th ride. 
Well, that would have been the route if any of the Irregulars had been interested in riding. 
Since no one was interested, I rode directly from my abode and intersected the route 
At the 2-mile mark, by which time I had already ridden a little over 6-miles.  
 
I started riding at 0725 -- the morning wasn't too hot, yet. 
 
I hadn't ridden up Beaver Dam / Rock Springs Ch Rd for several years. 
It was as I had recalled. 
4+ miles, almost all gently upslope. 
I was enjoying my ride. 
 
I turned northbound onto Bruce Garner Rd for the 1-km to Grissom and Lawrence Rd. 
Just after completing the turn onto Lawrence Rd, approx 18-and-a-half miles into my ride, 
I reached down to grab my first drink of the ride. 
 
Dang!
I forgot my water bottles! 
And with COVID restrictions being what they were, 
I immediately decided to abort the ride and head for the barn before 
It got too hot and I became dehydrated. 
 
Turned around on Lawrence Rd and turned southbound on Bruce Garner Rd. 
 
I decided to ride the usual Ghoston-Peed-MVC routing of most Irregular rides and my Perms. 
There were two things driving that decision: 
  • I think Ghoston-Peed-MVC is safer than staying straight on New Light and onto Six Forks. 
  • After riding by Pleasant Union Elementary, I would be able to stop at Lt. Dave's and get a tall drink of cold water.  
 
Mrs. Lt. Dave (i.e., Laurie) was at home although Lt. Dave was not. 
He was out riding with his friend Rich, with whom I've ridden once or twice
I could have made the 5-miles from Lt. Dave's to my abode without that water, but 
I was thankful for the water and it did make riding those last five quite warm miles easier. 
 
 
So I didn't get in the ride I intended, but I got in a good ride. 
  • -> Honeycutt-OldWeaver-BeaverDam-Grissom- NO Bottles -G-MVC-Strickland  ->
  • 0725 start, solo, FORGOT bottles    --  2h43 elapsed 
  • 35.9-miles.  2:27 in-motion.  avg 14.6-mph in-motion.  
  • fastest in-motion ride of the year (at that time). 
 
That's my story for this ride, and I'll be sticking to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment