Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Aug-22: LT's Mix-It-Up Route

A "call" for a prospective Irregulars ride resulted in four of us meeting for a ride. 
LT, Ricochet, Iceman, and me. 
However, the "call" had not defined a route to ride. 
In the PUE parking lot, LT suggested mixing it up, doing some familiar roads in a different order than usual, 
With some possibly unfamiliar roads mixed in. 
The route we ended up riding:  from PUE to the corner near PUE. 
 
 
Every Irregular ought to recognize that routing to Grissom and then Wilton. 
Any rando that rode the "Bay Leaf - Oxford - Bay Leaf" perm-pop should also recognize that routing. 
 
Somewhere along the way to Grissom, or maybe it was between Grissom and Wilton, 
LT indicated that we would turn left at Wilton onto NC-96 and take the first left off 96. 
 
I commented, "I know that road.  I think I rode it once -- years ago.  
"I think it is named after one of Lynn's dogs.  William's Road, I think." 
Then, after a quarter-mile or more, I added, "no, it's named Walter's Road." 
 
The four of had not ridden together for several years. 
I recall that the last previous time I had seen Iceman, 
He had asked me if saw MikeD (RUSA #1609) recently. 
At the time, Mike was chair of the Raleigh Pedestrian and Cycling Advisory Committee. 
Iceman indicated that although he was also on that committee, 
He sat at the opposite end of the table from Mike. 
[I figured it would be easy to find the date of the above interaction with "Iceman" Paul. 
But no, I couldn't find a reference in this blog or in my Excel log.] 
 
The other three were in better cycling shape than me, or 
At least were in better shape to climb -- that's usual, actually. 
 
On Hester Road, perhaps around the 25-mile mark, I had fallen a bit behind the other three. 
But on Sam Moss Hayes Rd, on the decline from the 26.2 to 26.5 marks, 
I wound up the flywheel and at the top of the ensuing incline, I caught and passed the three. 
As I zoomed past, I heard Ricochet comment, "nothing has changed." 
 
I had to slow and wait for LT to identify if we were turning onto Moss Hayes Rd 
Or if we were continuing on to US-15 to get into Creedmoor. 
LT's route took the US-15 routing into Creedmoor. 
 
We took 5 minutes at the corner of Sam Moss Hayes and US-15 to drink water, rest, and chat. 
Iceman talked about his morning routine of going for a bike ride. 
I don't recall what Ricochet or LT or I talked about. 
Iceman also mentioned things about the MS-150 bike rides around the country, but 
I won't go into that. 
 
When we got into Creedmoor, we checked out the new routing of a couple roads 
That had caught out "Iceman" Paul when he had recently driven from Raleigh to Oxford 
To do a 60-or-so-mile ride from there. 
[When I drew the RWGPS map, Google-maps/RWGPS had not yet updated for the road changes, 
So I guessed the road location and drew that part of the route using "Draw Lines." 
Since creation of the map, Google-maps have updated, but editing the map would be a pain.]
 
I recall teasing Paul, "you drove?  Why didn't you just ride your bike up to Oxford and then do the ride?" 
Paul thought that would have been more miles than he would have been interested in riding. 
I teased him some more, but then admitted I was kidding. 
 
  
I recall nothing of the ride after that pause to check out the new roads in Creedmoor. 
No one took any photos before, during, or after the ride. 
 
Upon reaching the corner near PUE, we broke apart. 
"Iceman" Paul was parked in the school parking lot, 
Ricochet Robert had approximately a 7-mile ride to get home. 
LT had a long kilometer to ride to his home. 
 
I think I may have stopped at LT's to have a Coke and a longer chat. 
Then I rode to my abode. 
I recall taking the "Coachman's Way" neighborhood routing -- that would have been another 8+ miles. 
 
 
60.6 total miles for me.  4:22 in-motion.  avg pace 13.9-mph in-motion. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment