Sunday, December 20, 2020

Sep-05: Long Assault on Flat Rock -- Shorted

I put out a call for an "Irregulars" ride for Saturday, September 5th.  
Suggesting the "Long Assault on Flat Rock." 
 
Only one person responded. 
There's a reason I named the group the "Irregulars" in the days before I took up randonneuring. 
Namely, participation was quite irregular. 
 
I left my abode at 0629 for the most-direct commute ride to PUE. 
En route, about a mile before reaching PUE, I rode past Lt. Dave's, but did not see him, so 
I completed my 5.6-mile, take-it-easy commute ride in 26-minutes. 
After he arrived at PUE, Dave indicated that he had seen me ride past his place. 
 
We waited in case any that had not committed to riding showed up -- but no one did. 
We started promptly on schedule at 0700. 
 
Since we had ridden an "Irregulars" ride on Aug-22nd, 
We didn't have that much "catching up" to do, conversation wise. 
 
Dave was stronger / faster on all the inclines. 
But we'd regroup on the declines or the flat bits in between the rollers. 
 
I had not ridden the valley of Bold Hill Run for several years, and 
I was much looking forward to doing so. 
 
Riding down into and thru the valley was fine. 
Then the climb out appeared. 
I had forgotten how steep the climb out was. 
Dave later indicated that he and his friend Rick/Rich/(?) had been riding Bold Run Hill Rd a lot, so 
He knew to expect what the climb out offered.  
 
As Dave rode on, distancing me on the climb, 
I decided to stop and take a photo mid-climb. 
The time to take that photo may have made Dave think that I had encountered trouble. 
But I explained that I had stopped to take a photo. 
I took two photos.  Not sure which I prefer.
The above two photos can be compared to a photo from almost the exact same location, 
With almost the exact same scene (just later in the year and with more color on the trees). 
For more from that Nov-2010 ride, click here.
 
I think he accepted that on face value [but maybe not?]
Either way, we decided to short the route, 
Turning left when we got to Woodland Ch Rd (instead of turning right). 
We took Woodland Ch Rd to Bruce Garner / New Light Rd and headed to his house 
To see some of the live action on the high mtns on the Sep-05 stage of the Tour de France. 
 
After the completion of the Tour stage, I head back to my place 
For a total ride of 48.6-miles, 3:26 in-motion, avg pace 14.1-mph when in-motion. 
Combined with an approx 1850 ft of climbing -- I judge that "acceptable." 

No comments:

Post a Comment