Friday, December 25, 2020

Nov-22: Short Climbing Ride

 ( "center" portion of the ride this date )

My cycle confuser ended up with 29.6-miles (with luck, the above RWGPS map will come out to be approx 2-miles short of that -- because I rode about a mile on the sidewalks at the beginning and end of the ride to essentially get to where that route starts and ends).  

29.6-miles, with approx 1680 ft climbing (per RWGPS), in 2:09 in-motion -> 13.7-mph avg.  
[AMAZING -- the draft route, starting/ending at my abode come up with ~ 1680 ft of climbing. 
But the revised route linked above comes up with only about 1330 ft of climbing. 
The approx 2-miles of sidewalk riding should account for only approx 60 ft, 
Yet RWGPS estimates are a whopping 350 apart. 
For those that think that RWGPS has reasonable estimates of the amount of climbing: 
HA! 
(I have other weird RWGPS results that put disbelief on RWGPS estimates.)]
The first mile (on the sidewalks) took 5-minutes & that is an avg of 12-mph 
- - I put in more effort that first mile than I often do. 
- - Often that first mile takes 6-minutes in-motion. 
 
Only 4-minutes for the second mile, and I must have been holding back, because that is all downhill on Honeycutt. 
 
Anyway, from there until near the end I was avg'ing 14-mph (+/-). 
- - My legs were feeling the effort on the second decline on Possum Track all the way to the "lake". 
- - - - I imagine I started losing a bit of pace on the climb(s) back up from the lake after that. 
- - - - - - And the ride across Koupela can drag the pace down -- esp. after a repeating hill climbing exercise. 

Oh, one more thing -- the entire ride in 39/14 gearing. 
- - Usually, if I set out to use only one gear on a ride, I use the 39/15. 
- - - - 39/15 is a 2.60 ratio.  39/14 is a 2.786 ratio, which is 7.1% harder. 
- - Lots of standing on certain of those inclines. 
- - - - E.g., Bay Leaf Ch Rd, Possum Track, Deer Trail (where even RWGPS reports the incline exceeds 6%).

No comments:

Post a Comment